Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Amrito & Resort Drama

A brief tragic history with evidence that Amrito - Osho’s personal physician (and senior member of the inner-circle) - is (or has been) aware and supportive of my views.


Amrito & Resort Drama

The purpose here is to examine what side of the fence Osho’s personal physician sits on, and to provide a summary of my recent involvement with the resort.
The contamination of drinking water was (I assume) first identified in the monsoon of 2004. All the drinking water stations were closed for several weeks. When a sannyassin engineer (Swami Mahasukh) began opening the water stations, there was still periodic contamination of this drinking water. I approached a number of people about my concerns. I sent a copy of some test results to Amrito. There was an apparent technical problem with Amrito contacting me at the ‘Hygiene’ email account. However he could send them to my coordinator. I received at least one email from Amrito. I do not recall the contents of the email.
After January of 2006, I approached Amrito and expressed my concerns about the water treatment system. I said that the consulting microbiologist had explained to me that the 2005 monsoon contamination was worse than the preceding year. I also said that I had changed to drinking resort water, and had been diagnosed with amoebic dysentery. He told me that it was absolutely essential that the water be completely clean, and that he would look into the matter.
In mid-January 2006 I left Amrito a copy of my report into health and safety concerns at the resort. A large part of this report was directed towards addressing water issues. In February of 2006 I phoned Amrito from Bangkok to confirm that he had received my report, and to ask for his feedback. He said that he had received my report, and that it was important to address the problem with the water prior to the (2006) monsoon. He also said that the other issues in the report needed addressing.

In late 2006 I made efforts to contact Amrito and resort management, asking for further feedback about to what extent the issues in the report had been addressed. I never received any reply and this gradually led me to assume that the likely scenario is that a lot of important issues (including water) may have been ignored.

I decided to try and make sannyassins in general aware of the hidden problems at the resort. I opened an information website (nomindspiration.com). Soon after opening the site I received an email (early 2007) from Amrito saying that some people feel that the resort is the last place I should be right now.

It is a possible that Amrito’s positive response to my Bangkok phonecall was merely an effort to placate me. However from the above information it is reasonably to conclude that Amrito is well aware of the problem with contamination of drinking water at the resort. I understand that he is meticulous with personal hygiene, and also secured funding to upgrade the water treatment system at the inception of Pune II. He is a medical doctor, and has a deep interest in the effects of food and water-borne illnesses in India.
There are many advantages of not calling a spade a spade and getting kicked out like I did. The manner in which I have approached the resort has been one that isn’t necessarily conducive to dialogue. However I would like to make mention that this is in direct response to the way I was ruthlessly dealt with by resort management. In order to remain at the resort, no doubt a considerable level of diplomatic skills is required. The trade-off is between gaining from being in the know (so to speak), and the loss of being excessively diplomatic and ‘nice’.

Amrito appears to take a very firm stance with respective to drinking water contamination. He is also well aware that there have been entrenched problems with drinking water contamination. He appeared to support investigating and correcting the problem. Perhaps he does not have the (financial) decision making authority?

In December 2007 I travelled to Pune, went to the main gate of the Osho International Meditation Resort, and started handing out a report outlining drinking water contamination at the centre. I was for this peaceful exercise assaulted. I then wrote an article titled Notice of Eviction, an article that has been posted on the Sannyasnews website. It is interesting to note that soon after I plastered this article all over Koregaon Park, I was assaulted a second time.

I am not aware of any action taken by the police with respect to the two complaints I lodged. Both assaults started in the area of the main gate, and so the video surveillance would have captured this. This video evidence will fit exactly with what I have documented in my complaints to police.

During my stay in Pune I was verbally threatened with being beaten; I have been pushed and punched; I have been threatened with a broom stick, sticks, metal rods, and possibly a disguised threat with a knife.

My information site has moved from “nomindspiration.com” to “oshobuddhism.blogspot.com”.

I am now seeking legal advice to determine my next course of action.

Love and yahoo,
Prem Abhay

No comments: