Wednesday, September 17, 2008

More Resort Drama?

Does the complex web of deception and violence spread beyond the walls of deluded religious grandeur and gross and abhorrent ignorance?


My Rickshaw Driver Friends: More Resort Drama?

After approximately two months of dramas with Dhyanesh and the Resort – that would be two months after arriving in Pune – for a couple of afternoons as I passed near the German Bakery a rickshaw driver yelled out to me that he could solve my problems with the resort. He mentioned that he new someone at the resort that could help me. I didn’t stop to discuss the matter and ignored the person.

Soon after, a girl who had just arrived in town approached me at the German Bakery and asked if I new of any reasonably priced rooms. I said that I stayed with an Indian family near here, and they had a spare room. I showed her the room, and she liked it. I left the house, and when I was near a cemetery and rubbish drop-off area, I was approached by the three rickshaw drivers - who loiter around the German Bakery and run a little business trying to find people rooms. The man who had yelled out to me that he could solve my problems came up to me and said that if I keep doing this there will be trouble for me. I replied that I didn’t like being threatened and that I was simply helping out a fellow traveller.

That afternoon as I passed by the German Bakery the rickshaw driver again called out to me and said that he new someone at the resort that could solve my problems. I was completed disinterested and did not look at him. He then yelled out that his friends name was Dhyanesh. I still ignored the person and continued walking by. However I felt a little stunned at the time and wondered whether I had just been at the receiving end of yet another threat.

I was threatened once more by the three rickshaw drivers. One of them approached me as I was entering the German Bakery. He said he needed to talk to me. I said that he can talk to me right here. He wanted me to come outside the Bakery. After a little time for reflection I followed him. I followed him round to where his two rickshaw friends were sitting on a seat outside the Bakery. He said in a low voice, now you listen to me. We have a little business here…. I new exactly where the conversation was headed. I called to a passerby to listen to me being threatened. The passerby came over to listen. The three rickshaw drivers then moved over to their rickshaws. The rickshaw driver first mentioned in this incident then told me to go back to my country. I said to him that he was threatening me and that I may go to the police about the matter.

There were no further direct incidents of being threatened by these three rickshaw drivers.

No comments: