Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Report to Police: Assault 1

The water contamination report was received well at the front-gate!
Report to Police: Assault 1 on Prem Abhay

Date: Sunday 30th December 2007
Incident outside the Osho International Meditation Resort, Pune, INDIA.

This letter is a formal request to take legal action(s) against the relevant persons in this report. I was threatened with physical violence by Dhyanesh, I was physically assaulted by two guards; I was further threatened with severe physical violence by one of these guards; Dhyanesh did not allow me to remove myself safely from this severe threat. Dhyanesh also, in my opinion threatened to deal with me in other than legal means, instigated, encouraged, maintained, and refused to stop, this very violent attack.

The role of the resort employee (the fourth person mentioned in the attack) is not clear to me.
The following is my recollection of the facts surrounding the incident that occurred outside the Osho International Meditation Resort, Pune, India. The incident happened on Saturday the 29th December 2007, the time was mid-afternoon (approximately 3pm).

In the morning I printed out copies of a report that I have written about the contamination of water at the Resort. I collected the copies from a print-shop and in the early afternoon handed out some copies of the report to people at the Yogi Tree Restaurant and then the German Bakery. I then proceeded to the Resort.

When I reached the entrance of the Resort I started handing out the report to people. I continued this uninterrupted and peacefully for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. I asked people if they would like a copy of a report about contamination of water at the resort. Some people said or indicated that they were not interested and I immediately respected their wishes. Other people were interested in what I had to say and asked me more specific questions. A lady ‘guarding’ called me over and requested a copy. A person that I recall is a long time Engineer or engineering technician approached me and requested a copy, and then another copy. The lady ‘guarding’ suggested I provide the main gate with a copy. I gave the main gate two copies.

At one stage, as I recall, a guard from the secondary entrance requested me to move. The main guard also asked me to move. He said that the area where I was – that being the road and roadside – was private property. I asked him for confirmation of this as I was quite sure where I was distributing the report was council property. I was met with an unclear response. However he did say to wait near the entrance as a person was coming to speak with me.

Dhyanesh approached me with a pen waving in his left hand. His approach was to me very abrupt and aggressive. There were two guards present. One of these guards had already touched me once on the arm – suggesting me to move on. As I recall, this guard touched me a second time on the upper arm, and I said to him that that was the second time he touched me, and that I found this to be inappropriate.

Dhyanesh said that the entire street was maintained by the Resort, and that the resort had the power to move anyone on if that person was causing a disturbance. He told me to go to the German Bakery. My position was clear and simple: I was distributing a report, and did not consider myself in any way to be causing a disturbance. On the contrary, I found myself well received, with people interested in the report, and interested in asking me more specific questions.

Dhyanesh said that he would deal with me in whichever way. I asked him exactly what he meant by that. He mentioned the possibility of him calling the police to deal with me; however the direction of his conversation lead me to understand that his interpretation of ‘whichever way’ stretched beyond the law.

At one stage, as I seem to recall, Dhyanesh said he would hit me. He also said a number of times that he would get the guards to hit me. The next thing I recall is that two guards are forcing me backwards away from the main-gate. My arms are placed in an awkward upward position, with my fingers bent painfully backwards. I managed to withdraw my hands and as I walked backwards tried to use my arms to defend myself from what I consider to be an unprovoked physical assault.

I withdrew from this assualt to the other side of the road. I continued to then make an attempt to distribute the water contamination report. I was approached by an employee of the resort. He stood almost touching me and asked me to move on. I asked him if he was going to assault me like the other two people just did. The bigger of the two guards then moved towards me from the other side of the road. I asked him if he was going to assualt me a second time.

He continued towards me in such an aggressive manner that I walked backwards along the footpath. He followed me (within striking range with his fists) and with fist(s) clenched threatened to strike me in the head. He did this a number of times as I walked backwards past the rickshaws. I then walked backwards onto the road, and as I did this the guard picked up a very large wooden broom. As I walked backwards down the road he threatened on many occassions to strike me both in the facial region, upper body region, and legs. During this the employee and Dhyanesh were close by.

The guard was in my opinion out of control with blind rage. He was clearly completely out of control. Dhyanesh was in my opinion insensible with anger. There was clearly an inappropriate an excess use of (and threat of) force. I walked backwards under attack a significant distance - to the entrance of Sunderbaan Hotel.

By the time I reached the entrance to Sunderbaan Hotel I realized that it was also dangerous for me to walk backwards down the street as I may get hit by an oncoming vehicle (or person), or simply trip over. I passed close by a sweeping lady who was near the road-side. With this guard threatening to strike me with a large stick (and within striking range), I could not for one moment take my concentration from him; hence the risk of something from behind. This was when I started to become vocal. I said to Dhyanesh that I needed space so I could turn around and walk away. Dhyanesh said I could simply turn around and walk away. I let Dhyanesh know that with a large Guard threatening me angrily with a big stick, that this was not an option.
Walking backwards along a road with three guys in my face, with one of them waving a big stick, was in my opinion very very dangerous. Also, Dhyanesh did not allow me the chance (and space) to turn around and walk away from the serious threat. Hence I made the decision to try and change the situation. I vocally shouted if you attack me I will defend myself. I repeated this. I threw the remaining copies of the report on the ground – partially in frustration and partially to keep my hands free in case of an imminent attack. I continued to be very vocal – yelling things like ‘fuck off’ and ‘give me space’ - and this seemed to work.

Dhyanesh must have then moved back a little. The guard with the big broom stick moved back a little. Then the resort employee moved back a little. I moved to the entrance of the Sunderbaan hotel, got out some more copies of the report, and gave one to a gentleman. We had a short and fruitful discussion. Another person approached me and seemed to have a calming effect on me. He walked with me to the end of the resort road. He made some suggestions of what I might do to resolve the problem, and showed me frame by frame pictures of some of the incident. I gave him my email address and he said he would send the photos.

I was very shaken by the incident, and probably was in a state of shock. That night I had a very disturbed sleep.

I was handing out a report that in my opinion uncovers serious negligence on behalf of senior management at the resort. However I was doing so in a peaceful manner, engaging people in constructive dialogue, and very definitely not creating a disturbance. After the two guards initially attacked me I made this point clear to Dhyanesh. I said that I was not creating the disturbance. I repeatedly said that I was here peacefully, and that he and others were creating the disturbance by attacking me. This is what happened. I was making a peaceful protest and I was physically attacked and threatened. If the guard with the large broom stick did actually strike me the way he threatened to, he could have easily killed me!!!!

I have been a critic of resort management for years. I have been banned from the resort, and in my opinion I have previously been threatened by people at the resort. I have approached and been well received by the Australian State police on two occasions; I have attempted to personally visit the Australian Federal Police. I have sent messages to the Australian Federal Police, to Interpol, and to the Indian Central Bureau of Intelligence – on a number of occasions. I had a lengthy and helpful discussion with the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. I have repeatedly said that I have a sense that a person or persons having involvement with the centre are trying to kill me.

The message that I have is that the negligence at the resort shows a blatant disregard to the sanctity of human life. The management is in my opinion very clearly aware of this, and ignores the right direction to fix the problems – problems that may have already lead to serious injury and death. So if the management is to this extent ignoring problems, why would they not make efforts to harm me, or end my life??? I came to Pune to resolve this issue as I have now spent years in hiding, am tired of it, have no place to hide left that I wouldn’t mind staying at, and am running out of money.

I handed out a report in peaceful protest and was physically attacked and threatened in a manner that if carried out, could easily have ended my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,
Prem Abhay

No comments: